While You’re Here

Here are a few tidbits that can help you have a successful term at Lake Forest College.

Staying in Status

For exchange students, please note that ISEP is your sponsor and is the one who will be able to grant approvals for certain requests for employment or dropping below full-time - as well as any specific visa-related questions.

Beyond the Classroom

Wondering what there is to do outside of classes?  Head over to our Student Life pages, where you can learn more about student activities and clubs, intramural activities, leadership, service, health and fitness.  

Lake Forest College’s close proximity to Chicago provides students with access to a major American city that has truly global reach. Lake Forest College has long recognized – and increasingly taken advantage of – Chicago’s extensive educational and cultural resources. Connect with the Center for Chicago Programs to find out more about exploring Chicago.


Before traveling outside of the United States, J-1 students should have their DS-2019 signed by ISEP, who remains your visa sponsor.  GEO will collect your DS-2019s during orientation to send them to ISEP, and they are usually available for pick-up from our office within 2-3 weeks.  Do not forget to pick up this form, and don’t leave the country without it!

It is also important to plan ahead to acquire any visas that might be required by the countries you will travel to or through.  

J-1 visa holders may travel within the United States without obtaining special permission but should always carry their valid passport and DS-2019 with them.

Winter Break Housing

All residence halls are officially closed and vacant during winter break.  ISEP students who are attending Lake Forest for the full academic year are permitted to remain on campus during this time. In the past, only Moore, Nollen, and Roberts Halls are open during the break. Students who do not live in Moore, Nollen, or Roberts but require accommodations for the winter break may be assigned to a lounge space. Note: Food services and other campus services are extremely limited during the winter break.

Applications for Winter Break Housing for students will be made available in the fall, and ISEP students must be sure to fill this out. Approval from the Office of Residence Life is required. The administrative charge is waived for academic year ISEP participants, as this is covered by your benefits.